Wholesale Electric Supply was founded by Clyde Rutland and his beloved wife, Marjorie, in 1949. They were a memorable couple, who lived amazing lives. As a successful businessmen and philanthropist. Clyde’s greatest processional achievement was establishing one of the largest independent electrical distributorships in the industry. Clyde was a member of the National Association of Electrical Distributors (NAED) and later became the organization’s president. He supported the University of Houston Industrial Distribution Scholarship program, as well as many other charities. In the early years, Marjorie spent her days “making the company go”. While running the office, she answered the phones, kept the books, and even made deliveries. As the company grew, Marjorie headed the accounts payable department and did in-house accounting. Marjorie also planned all company functions from golf tournaments to open houses.
Born on March 18, 1919 in Lexington, TX, Clyde G. Rutland grew up in a modest railroad family in East Houston. He served as a First Sergeant in the Air Force in WWII. He was stationed in Kelly Field in San Antonio, and proudly served his country for two years in Guam and the Mariana Islands. He was a Deacon and Elder with Faith Community Church in Pearland, Texas.
Born February 18, 1922 to a railroad family in East Houston, Marjorie R. Rutland grew up near Clyde, and they attended the same church. In 1940, on her parents’ wedding anniversary on February 20th, Marjorie wed Clyde and then together founded Wholesale Electric Supply Company. As a devoted wife, mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, and mentor to several employees at Wholesale Electric, Marjorie R. Rutland cared for and instilled her good values in others and played an enormous role in making Wholesale Electric Supply Company a world-wide success.